Liz and I are going to have an ENTIRE section on Baby Making and Beyond dedicated to probiotics, just what to take, when, why and how, but until that program launches late in the spring of 2015 I wanted to share a brief run down of just why you should consider daily supplementation of probiotics during pregnancy.
While it's great to consume probiotic foods such as raw sauerkraut, fermented veggies (carrots are my faves) and natural yogurts as a part of your daily diet, you may want to consider the addition of a probiotic supplement during pregnancy. Foods are great to support your digestive health but probiotics are even better to support your vaginal flora and the development of your babies bacterial kingdom.
Not only do certain strains of bacteria found in your vaginal tissues influence the types of bacteria (harmful and beneficial) that will be found in your babies gut, but recent research shows that bacteria can actually cross the placenta and may affect fetal health and wellbeing. This is mind blowing research! Literally, it's blowing my mind over here. Previously, we used to thing that the infant was born 100% sterile. Obviously this isn't the case.
Probiotics are great and here's why :
- Reduce the chance of swabbing positive for Group B Strep (GBS) at term
- Reduce the risk of developing Bacterial Vaginosis, a risk factor for preterm labour
- Reduce the incidence of yeast infections, which can be common when your pregnant.
- Reduce the incidence of constipation both prenatally and postpartum
- Aid in the formation of short chain fatty acids, which are made in the small intestine. These fatty acids are key building blocks for your baby's nervous system and critical for your own mental and physical wellbeing.
- Reduces your overall systemic inflammation
- May reduce your risk of gestational diabeties
- Increase the number of lactobacillus species in your vaginal tract. These are associated with infant health and wellness and will form the backbone of your babies GI and immune systems.
- Reduce your risk of mastitis after the baby's born
What to take?
I just became aware of this AMAZING new company called Hyperbiotics. They make a product called Pro-Mom's. This proboitic is a combination of 8 strains of high potency proboitics that are clinically proven to support a woman during her childbearing years.
Pro-Mom's is awesome BECAUSE:
- It's formulated with Kiwi extract which helps: Act as natural insoluble fibre to support healthy bacterial growth. It contains an enzyme called actinidin, which aids in digestion AND it contains a polyphenol, which is a natural antioxidant.
- It contains the strains clinically proven to be beneficial for pregnancy and is highly potent, having just the right amount!
- It has a long shelf life and requires no refrigeration aka you can keep it in your purse.
- You only need to take it once a day. It's time released.
- It's Paleo friendly, contains no gluten, dairy, soy, corn, sugars or artificial anything
Go out and get some! You can order it directly from their website and it's ON SALE right now!
As always, check out Baby Making and Beyond and sign up for updates. You can also check me out on Balanced Bites where Liz and I will be sharing weekly fertility tips :)